Benefits of an internal communication application
The structure of internal communication mobile apps is very similar to the social platforms already well known from our private life. A software that supports communication, knowledge sharing, survey creation, audiovisual content publishing. What are the arguments for and against internal communication applications?
PRO arguments for internal communication application:
- They include many functions beyond communication: sharing documents, organizing events, surveys, etc. They have plenty of opportunities to increase employee satisfaction and engagement.
- They can also be used to reach blue-collar or teleworkers who do not have an e-mail address.
- Since they typically act as web applications, employees can use it on their own devices without installing it, simply by opening it from the browser of the phone or computer. However, the app also has an icon on the main screen.
- They are normally available as cloud-based solutions, but the company may choose to install the system on its own server by fully ensuring IT security.
- It’s a multiplatform, running on any smartphone, and can also be used on computers, tablets and touch-screen kiosks.
- Their appearance and functions are fully customizable (icon, name, colors, domain).
- They operate in a completely closed system, so they fully meet the data protection criteria.
- Communication is traceable. Detailed statistics are available along the lines of reading, reach and reactions.
- You can organize information into different categories so that previous content can be easily retrieved and read back.
- They do not require an e-mail address, phone number, or an account — a unique identifier is generated.
- Information is available from anywhere and at any time, as it is not necessary to connect to an internal network.
- Communication can be segmented. We may send content to all employees or only to certain groups.
- Integrate with other HRM, administration and communication platforms of the company.
- They support both the internal and external employer branding process: they increase engagement and satisfaction, give a market advantage in the fight for a new workforce against competitors.
- Since their structure leans on already well-known social media platforms, it is easy to learn how to use them, even older colleagues would have no problem with it.
- The community function helps to strengthen workplace communities. Within a closed group, members are free to communicate with each other on a given topic, be it hobbies, interests or sports.
- Onboarding and training features can be used to support or replace introductory, repetitive, continuous, or ad hoc training that requires physical contact. By creating a simple process, we can pass on the information (in text, picture, video, ppt, etc.) and measure the effectiveness of knowledge management through tests and questionnaires.
Contra arguments against internal communication application:
- Mobile phones, laptops or any other technological devices are needed in order to use them
- Users are not given pre-programmed answers to their questions, but are free to search through a well-structured interface.
Chatbot as an internal communication application
Chatbots are softwares that can talk and communicate very much like humans without the intervention of a real person. There are many corporate chatbots on both the international and Hungarian markets. Let's see what arguments are for and against chatbots.
PRO / arguments in favor of chatbots as a communication application:
- Chatbots, unlike humans, are available 24/7. Employees can get answers to their questions at any time, regardless of working hours.
- They answer recurring questions, thus relieving the burden on HR and management. Predefined messages are sent out automatically.
- They can be used in many forms: in recruitment, to enhance the candidate experience, to keep in touch with the current staff.
- Traceable: You can see the message opening rate.
- They're capable of segmented communication. You can send messages to all employees or only to certain groups through them.
- Since they are already installed in an existing chat interface, their use is easy to learn, even for blue-collar workers.
CONTRA / arguments against the chatbot as a communication application:
- They can already be implanted into an existing chat program used in the company (e.g. Viber, Messenger, Teams...).
- Therefore, a profile/phone number/e-mail address is required for their use.
- A smartphone is required for their use.
- Before launching, you need to take a lot of time to work out the most common topics along which the chatbot responds.
- Because they are embedded in a chat program, they perform narrower functions than mobile apps, and thus the conditions of data protection and IT security may be violated.
- They are less likely to customize your corporate image due to the limitations of the chat program.